ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM DB Size

2009-11-10 12:19:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM DB Size
From: "John D. Schneider" <john.schneider AT COMPUTERCOACHINGCOMMUNITY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:18:33 -0700
Certainly the architectural limit is a boundary you don't want to get
very close to.

But besides that, there are issues of database performance as the DB
grows and grows.  We have TSM servers running four TSM instances on
8-way pSeries AIX servers with redundant FC links to raw logical volumes
on EMC Symmetrix or Clariiion disk, with databases ranging from
80-225GB, and their performance is just fine.  Expire inventory times
are 1-2 hours, Database backup is 1-2 hours max (to LTO4 tape drives).

But we also have smaller Windows servers with dual processors and LTO3
tape drives, and with 30-50GB databases the Expire Inventory and
Database backups are also 1-2 hours.  If we let those Windows TSM
databases grow to 225GB they would not perform nearly so well, so we
have to watch how big they grow.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
The Computer Coaching Community, LLC
Office: (314) 635-5424 / Toll Free: (866) 796-9226
Cell: (314) 750-8721