ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM server move to new hardware

2009-10-28 15:47:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM server move to new hardware
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:47:12 -0400
I am moving a TSM 5.5.3.0 server running on RHEL 4 to new server
hardware and RHEL 5.  Same TSM server version.   In the end, I would
like to be able to bring up the new server with the same TSM server
identity as the old.

In order to accomplish this, our plan is to disconnect the LUNs which
contain the database, log files and storage pools from the old
physical server and connect them to the new physical server.  We are
planning on accomplishing this by copying the original devconfig,
volhistory, dsmserv.dsk, and dsmserv.opt  files to the /opt/tivoli/tsm/
server/bin  directory on the new RHEL 5 server.  Once these files have
been copied and are in place we will then start dsmserv and set
servername=<original TSM server name>.

We will also disconnect the 3584 tape library from the old server and
connect it to the new one.

Will this re-create the original TSM server on the new hardware and
RHEL build without the need to do a database restore, or am I
forgetting something essential that will make this move more
complicated than I have described?

Please let me know.

Best wishes,
Keith Arbogast