ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Performance and migration: AIX vs Linux

2009-10-22 18:14:45
Subject: [ADSM-L] Performance and migration: AIX vs Linux
From: "Dury, John C." <JDury AT DUQLIGHT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:13:23 -0400
We are currently running TSM server v5530 under AIX. The AIX server has a
mixture of different speed (266mhz and 133mhz, both 64bit) PCI-X slots. With 4
4g HBAs. Our system is connected to a Clariion CX3-80 where the TSM DB and
Recovery Log and Disk Storage pools live. The disk parts of TSM have 2 4G HBAs
and powerpath installed and configured for load balancing across both. We have
2 STK SL500 libraries, both with 4 LTO4 drives. One is local and the other is
connected via a 2 2G fiber paths to our remote site.  The remote SL500 is
defined as a copy storage pool. All of the local tape traffic is on one HBA and
the remote is on another. Disk and tape do not have any traffic on the same
HBAs ever.   I used a script I found in past emails and the best performance we
can get on the local SL500 is around 30MBs. The best performance we can get on
the remote library is about 10MBs.  We recently redid the AIX box and rezoned
so the disks would be using the fastest PCI-X slots and the tape would be using
the slower ones to try and improve disk performance. This did help some as
expiration was running for about 8 hours and now it runs in about 4. Our TSM DB
is 76800 MB and is 75% full right now. I've looked through the latest TSM
performance and tuning manual and tweaked everything as per recommendations for
our setup.

We are considering migrating our AIX server to an Intel based Linux box that
has a mixture of 8x and 4x PCI Express slots in hopes of maximizing performance
on both disk and tape and also saving money as AIX boxes are considerably more
expensive.

So here are my questions:

1.        How hard is it to move from an AIX TSM server box to a Linux TSM
server? I'm hoping it's as easy as building the new box (tape drive,stg pool
etc) and then restoring the DB and tweaking the new config. I know there is
more to it than that but without researching it yet, that seems like a logical
high level overview.

2.        Will there be much of a performance difference between and AIX based
TSM server and a Linux based TSM server?

3.       Going from mixed speeds slots of PCi-X to PCI Express 8x and 4x slots
should be a significant improvement correct?

I know there are a lot of factors here but we are concerned we aren't getting
the best performance for our existing hardware. 30MBs (not Mbps) for a LTO4
drives seems pretty slow and with 4 4x PCI-E and 4 8x PCI-E slots, I can
balance out the I/O across cards and slots  much better than I can now.

Comments and criticisms? Linux vs AIX?
Thanks for any insight!