ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Ms windows cluster and tsm questions

2009-10-22 14:45:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Ms windows cluster and tsm questions
From: Grigori Solonovitch <G.Solonovitch AT BKME DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:37:42 +0300
Hello Gary,
You can use TSM backups for the both active/passive and active Windows
clusters. We are using a few Windows 2003 clusters.
In general, you need:
1) configure sepatate TSM nodes for each server in cluster to backup
not-clustered drives (usually C: and, sometimes, D:) with original Windows
server TCP/IP addresses;
2) configure separate TSMnodes for each cluster resource group with cluster
TCP/IP address or addreses, if a few are used;
3) configure separate dsmxxxx.opt for each node. Standard dsm.opt can be used
to backup not clustered drives. Other dsmxxx.opt have to be kept on the same
network drives, where resource group is allocated, to move them to another node
together with other resources. In addition, they have to be configured for
cluster node (additional check in setup wizard);
4) configure separate TSM Schedulers for each of nodes and resource group,
attached to appropriate dsmxxxx.opt. Windows server shedulers, attached to
standard dsm.opt, are starting automatically like on single server. Schedulers
for resource groups have to be configured as cluster resources and have to be
started by cluster and controled by cluster during failover;
5) optional, configure separate WEB clients for each TSM node. By the way, it
is possible to use only one.
If additional information is still required, try to serch in Internet. I have
found very good document for TSM Windows cluster there. Unfortunately, we have
weekend now hire in Kuwait an dI can provide you this document only on Sunday.
In any case, it is possible to configure TSM on correct way and have stable and
reliable backups for servers (we are using TBMR from Cristie for disaster
recovery) and allresource groups. We faced some problems only with VSS backups
for system image, but they are usual and not crusial.
Good luck,
Grigori