ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] New TSM 6.1 Mystery

2009-10-18 23:40:58
Subject: [ADSM-L] New TSM 6.1 Mystery
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:31:57 PDT
We have just started migrating clients from our TSM 5.5.3 system to a
new AIX P-520 running TSM 6.1.2. This system acts as a library manager
sharing our 3494 with our Solaris 5.5.3 system with 8 TS1120 drives.
A few minor hiccups until today. A storage pool backup process failed
with the following message:

ANR8985E The drive drive name in library library name is using an
encryption method that is incompatible with the current server settings.

After a lot of searching, I noticed that 11 of the 19 tapes, including
the ones that caused the above message, that had been created on the
6.1.2 system had the "Drive Encryption Key Manager" field set to
"SYSTEM", from the QUERY VOLUME display. The rest of the tapes show the
field set to "NONE", including all of the tapes that have been created
by the 5.5.3 system (30-40 tapes).  None of our drives have the
encryption feature installed, the DEVICEENCRYPTION setting on both
systems' device classes is set to ALLOW, the default.

I managed to read these 'bad' tapes on the drives they were created on,
but tapes without the 'SYSTEM' setting were created on these drives as
well.

Has anyone else run into this problem, or is there something I'm missing?
I've opened an incident with support and will see what happens.

Thanks
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.
(858)-581-9668