ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Remote Netware connectivity software

2009-10-15 20:14:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Remote Netware connectivity software
From: "Neilly, Ron" <Ron.Neilly AT UBC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:12:12 -0700
Yes. There are many ways, all free, to get to the NetWare console
remotely.

1. Novell Remote Manager (aka NoRM).
This is a web based management interface with a lot of capabilities, one
of which is a console access capability. The service listens on port
8008/8009 by default. It is provided/loaded by the loading of httpd.nlm
and portal.nlm in the autoexec.ncf file when the server boots. (BTW
sorry if I am being pedantic, but I have no idea of your level of
knowledge of NetWare.)

So open your browser (firefox 3.0.x or ie 6/7 work best - opera also
works well) to https://server.domain:8009 Login with your eDir
credentials.

2. RconIP. This is a nice little app that requires that the server load
rconag6.nlm. You can get rconip here: http://rconip.sourceforge.net/

3. SSH. NetWare has an sshd.nlm that allows terminal based access from
linux/unix clients, among other things.

4. Rconj.exe. This is a java based client that talks to rconag6.nlm on
the server, much like rconip. But this client supports ssl whereas
rconip does not.

5. VNC for NetWare. The project is hosted here
http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?vncnw and there is some
documentation at the cool solutions website here :
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/431.html

In terms of setup and defaults - ie what is likely to exist at your
remote systems and won't require you loading and configuring something
at the server first (catch-22) - your best bet is NoRM. For future
functionality and security though your probably best off with ssh. But
the best one isn't available for free anymore. Well actually you can
probably find it for download from somewhere, but then it will not be
registerable and thus will subject you to a 30 minute session limit. But
I'll list just for the sake of completeness and choice:

6. AdRem Free Remote Console 2006. They discontinued this in July 2008
and replaced it with LiteCon 2008 for $500 per site. I've been using
this for years and so have a registered version and no time limits. It
totally rocks. Sad to see it pulled.

Cheers,

Ron Neilly
UBC Okanagan