ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] MPIO for tape libraries

2009-10-11 13:18:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] MPIO for tape libraries
From: David McClelland <tsm AT NETWORKC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:17:59 +0100
I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by 'defining logical tape drives',
without a VTL or somesuch. Can you expand technically upon what you mean?

>From my experience, the majority of failures involving tape drives have been
down to drive/head mechanics failure or tape cartridge errors (although I
note that this seems to be increasingly uncommon these days), rather than
physical fiber component failure. In these instances, any amount of
multi-pathing can't help and you need to make sure that you have enough
spare capacity in your library/design to cope, and an alerting/support
process in place which can recognise it and get it resolved as quickly as
possible. Given that most of your backup clients will (presumably) initially
write to TSM-managed disk storage pools (except SAN Storage Agents and
perhaps NDMPs etc) hopefully a drive failure won't have a direct impact upon
a client backup data integrity, as TSM tends to be pretty precious about
this when performing migrations/data movement operations involving tapes.

/DMc