ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 and the ever expanding DB

2009-10-05 02:26:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 and the ever expanding DB
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT ITAA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:25:58 +0200
I have been a member of the "TSM 6 in production club" since 6.1.2.0 and
I am not happy with this release.

I am also seeing strange db errors right from the start (clean install
and export/import from 5.5 server) looking at the IBM help for these
errors I read fairly cryptic steps about changing DB2 setting..step one
was "Open the DB2 console"..what the heck!?
I don't want to open the DB2 console, IBM told me I would not need DB2
knowledge and that the DB2 database use would be transparent for
me..well..it's not...within the first hours after install until now it
is not.

DB size has increased about 5 times (using dedupe) and don't even get me
started on the log size.

Good things are dedupe, I get a 22% reduction of the amount of data
stored on disk which is nice.
Performance is good, it sucks that they changed some internal tables so
tools such as TSMmanager need to catch up on the new layout..TSMmanager
reports on size stuff don't work at the moment.

More than once the system just stops responding...no lead on where it
comes from and I never had this before on v5, it's not the hardware
since I run TSM v6 inside a VMware VM and all other vm's are fine.

At this point in time I would not recommend using TSM 6.1.2.0 in a
production environment.