ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] systemstate error

2009-09-30 07:42:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] systemstate error
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:41:12 -0400
Hi Robert,

When TSM performs system state backup, it asks the operating system (via
VSS) for the list of files that are part of system state. TSM then attempts
to back these files up. If the file cannot be found, then the system state
backup will stop (as you have seen). Therefore it would seem that on the
system where the system state backup runs correctly, vnetinst.dll is not
considered by Windows to be a part of system state. But on the system where
system state backup stops, Windows thinks that file is part of system
state. vnetinst.dll is a part of VMware, I think.

As for the size of system state: Starting with Windows Vista, the number of
system state files (and thus the size of system state) has grown more than
10 X's the size of Windows 2003 system state. The 600 MB system state size
you mention sounds like a fit for Windows 2003. At a minimum, I would
expect Windows 2008 system state to include at least 30,000 or 40,000 files
and be about 7 GB or more in size. The increase in system state backup size
is not attributed to a change from TSM client 5.5 to 6.1.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2009-09-30
05:34:45:

> [image removed]
>
> Re: systemstate error
>
> Robert Ouzen Ouzen
>
> to:
>
> ADSM-L
>
> 2009-09-30 05:35
>
> Sent by:
>
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>
> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>
> Hi Andy
>
> I checked it and the file vnetinst.dll  did not exist on the server
> , I have another server with the same configuration (Windows 2008
> and Tsm client 6.1.0.2) the systemstate backup is running correctly
> and there too the file vnetinst.dll did not exist !!!
>
> On the server with the error I erased old backup of systemstate and
> made a new fresh backup systemstate and got the same error !!! By
> the way the backup of systemstate with TSM client 6.1.0.2  is much
> bigger then old TSM version (old one around 600MB and now aroud 11GB
> ????) I opened a PMR at IBM
>
> Regards  Robert

If