ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Per terabyte licensing

2009-09-28 20:06:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Per terabyte licensing
From: Mark Blunden <mark AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:04:07 +1000
IBM does have a sub-capacity license process. You need to talk to your
sales rep to find out the details.
Basically, if you are only using 2 cpus for Oracle out of 128 total cpus
available, then you only have to pay for 2 DB licenses. Obvioulsy other
LPARs are probably servicing other data requirements which will need
backing up, but you don't have to pay for the lot if you don't use the lot.

regards,
Mark

             Kelly Lipp
             <lipp@STORSERVER.
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Per terabyte licensing

             29/09/2009 09:48
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

And remember, too, that the PVU thing contemplated something like a DB2
license.  Perhaps you had two or three systems that would run DB2.  It did
not contemplate something like TSM where EVERY system in the environment
would have the software running.  Keeping track of a couple of systems and
their various processor/core/PVU stuff is relatively simple.  Keeping track
of that same thing across several hundred (never mind your case!) is very
difficult.

The "one size fits all" mentality of Tivoli software clearly missed the
mark with TSM.

Kelly Lipp
Chief Technical Officer
www.storserver.com
719-266-8777 x7105
STORServer solves your data backup challenges.
Once and for all.