ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up virtual machines

2009-09-25 10:59:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up virtual machines
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:58:22 +0200
On 25 sep 2009, at 16:15, Buddy Howeth wrote:

When you backup a VM, you are getting a snapshot of the computer you
are
saving,  if you later need to restore a specific file on that VM and
you
didn't install the client then you only have the snapshot and you must
restore the entire snapshot, convert it back into a VM and then copy
out
what you need.

with VCB? In what implementation of which client?

If you don't use a client to get the indivdual changes at the file
system
level, then you have to take a snapshot everyday and still deal with
restoring the entire VM and conversion when you need to do a
restore.  We
are using 5.5 and have 3 ESX servers hosting 20 VMs.  We are in the
process of ordering another ESX server to increase our VM farm.

Again, in what implementation of which client?

TSM 6.x may change how this works, but we are using 5.5 with VCB and
this
is how it works.  Been up and running more than a year now.

Ah, in my limited understanding of the TSM 5.5 client's VM
capabilities (I prefer the STORServer VCB agent), it was capable of
actually making a file-level incremental of your VM guests. Making
full image backups is nice for DR, but otherwise quite useless, as you
pointed out.

--

Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,

Remco Post