ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] SV: the purpose of "file" device class

2009-09-22 03:42:09
Subject: [ADSM-L] SV: the purpose of "file" device class
From: Christian Svensson <Christian.Svensson AT CRISTIE DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:41:10 +0200
Hi,
DISK is much better for you because it will allocate all blocks at the same
time.
The only way to avoid the fragmentation with FILE is to pre-define all volumes.
Another thing I don't like with FILE is that you need to create more or same
number of volumes as clients and then set number of drives. Another wise will
you end up with queuing all backups.

PS: Most important when you pre-define any volumes for DISK or FILE is to
create one (1) volume at the time and not all at the same time.
This can easy be done by using WAIT=YES when you create the volumes.

Best Regards
Christian Svensson

Cell: +46-70-325 1577
E-mail: Christian.Svensson AT cristie DOT se
Skype: cristie.christian.svensson