ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] AW: Some advice about compression=yes to perform IMAGE backup

2009-09-20 19:56:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] AW: Some advice about compression=yes to perform IMAGE backup
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:55:11 -0700
For us we back up a combination of millions of little text files
(anywhere from ~500 bytes to ~500kB), and somewhat larger TIFF images
(3-7MB). The smaller text files can fit onto a single block on tape and
compress far better in hardware than in software because there's
similarities between files. The TIFF images don't compress at all using
either scheme, so we stick with hardware compression.