ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM architecture

2009-09-18 14:20:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM architecture
From: km <km AT GROGG DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:16:11 +0200
On 18/09, Haberstroh, Debbie (IT) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My current environment is TSM 5.5.3, 1 library manager, 3 database servers.
> These are installed on a P550 AIX 5.3 system in separate LPAR's.  We have 355
> clients, 200 + are active.  My current TSM databases are 100GB, 65-82%
> utilized.  We are going to be doing a large  business object installation
> which will add 30-50 new clients including multiple Oracle databases.  Our
> proposal was to add an additional TSM server to handle the new requirements.
>
> We have a new "architect" that is not very familiar with TSM and his proposal
> is to "stack" TSM on another server that is running a different application.
> His argument is that TSM does most of it's work at night and the application
> (which one is TBD) does most of it's work during the day.  From what I know,
> due to TSM's resource utilization, it should be on it's own hardware.
>
> Has anyone tried to do this and what were your results?  I would love to get
> some good arguments to take back that would support our original position to
> install on separate hardware.  Thanks to everyone for your ideas.
>
> Debbie Haberstroh
> TSM Server Administration

For the love of god, please dont. You are going to kill that other
application. TSM opposed to other backup solutions does most of it's
work during daytime which will include heavy CPU and I/O usage.

Something else to keep in mind is also that separating backup and DR
machines from the normal production environment is a good thing since you
will have fewer common point of failures for both, ie less chance of losing
or having trouble with both at the same time.

-km