ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP-SQL behavior for diff backup of new databases

2009-09-03 06:42:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP-SQL behavior for diff backup of new databases
From: "Schaub, Steve" <steve_schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 06:41:50 -0400
Hi Del,

Here is the log from the diff restore.  By creating a database in the middle of
the week (and we only run a full on the weekends), there is no full backup to
go along with the diff.  What I expected to happen the first time TDP tried a
diff backup on a newly created database was either:
a) TDP recognizes there is no full, and the diff becomes a full backup for the
first run (preferred action)
b) TDP fails the backup (at least I know there is a problem)
It looks like neither happened.  So it appears that I could have a potential
gap in coverage of up to a week for new databases?

09/01/2009 13:45:33 Restore of SQLBackupTest failed.
09/01/2009 13:45:33 An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL
statement or batch.
09/01/2009 13:45:33 The database "SQLBackupTest" does not exist. RESTORE can
only create a database when restoring either a full backup or a file backup of
the primary file.

Thanks,
-steve