ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TDP-SQL behavior for diff backup of new databases

2009-09-02 10:37:23
Subject: [ADSM-L] TDP-SQL behavior for diff backup of new databases
From: "Schaub, Steve" <steve_schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 10:33:48 -0400
Window 2003 Server, SQL Server 2005, TSM 5.5.1.0 TDP 5.5.1.0

We are taking weekly full and daily diff backups of SQL databases using TDP.
What appears to happen if a database is created mid-week is that the DIFF
backup appears to work, no errors are flagged.  However, an attempt to restore
this database fails, complaining that it doesn't have a full backup.

Can someone confirm the behavior I think we are seeing in TDP, and if there is
a recommended workaround so that we don't get caught by it?

Thanks,

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, Windows
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm