ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ALMS benefit to shared-library management ?

2009-08-17 16:07:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ALMS benefit to shared-library management ?
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:06:18 -0400
The big difference between using TSM library/client architecture vs. letting
the TS3500/ALMS do it, is whether you want to share DRIVES between TSM
instances.

If you just use ALMS partitioning, drives have to belong to one library
partition/TSM instance or the other at any given point in time.  The TSM
instances share the robot arm, the I/O door and (normally) the open slots,
but not the drives.  (you can move drives back and forth manually between
library partitions, but it ain't automatic and it ain't convenient.)

If you use TSM library/client architecture, one of the TSM's is the owner of
all the drives.  All the instances can share access to all the drives.
They all make nice with each other sharing and scheduling drive use because
the library owner instance is the traffic cop.

That is a more powerful feature than what ALMS gives you.

VIO can be nice, IF You are moving more cartridges in a day than your I/O
door can hold (which most people don't, with 3592 carts).  And I don't
remember actually how ALMS enforces separation of the partitions by
instance, but it does (if nothing else, each TSM uses one control point that
is defined on a drive, and each drive is in only 1 partition).  For TSM vs.
a non-TSM application to share the library, ALMS is certainly necessary.

But in your case, it depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve.  If
you are happy taking a drive away from your production server, a library
partition created with ALMS should be sufficient, and is very easy to do on
the fly.