ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volume assistance

2009-08-17 15:42:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volume assistance
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:42:02 -0400
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:51:32 -0400, Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT
>> AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM> said:

> We started using Virtual Volumes earlier this year for some new
> branch locations with no local, long-term storage.  As it works,
> multiple virtual volumes will get stacked into one "real" sequential
> volume.

> The problem is that periodically, a reclamation process will require
> two volumes that happen to be stacked together.  On the destination
> side, it cancels one of the mounts with a "being preempted by higher
> priority operation", then the whole reclamation fails and the first
> volume is marked "read-only"

> As I write this an idea come to the fore.  Perhaps I should be using the
> RECLAIMSTGpool feature.   Does anyone else have this problem?  Is
> RECLAIMSTGpool the standard workaround?

You're using virtual volumes for your PRIMARY stgpools, I'm guessing.
I think there's no standard workaround there, because I think you're
well out of the mainstream. :) Welcome.

RECLAIMSTG ought to help, so long as it's distinct from the virtvol
stuff; i.e. local disk or such.

You might consider supplying your branches with enough e.g. SATA for
local primary storage.  That'd simplify their recovery scenarios, too.
But that's just a kibitz.

- Allen S. Rout