ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Thumbs up/down for a new install for TSM 6.1 on Windows?

2009-08-01 07:12:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Thumbs up/down for a new install for TSM 6.1 on Windows?
From: km <km AT GROGG DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 13:08:32 +0200
On 31/07, Wanda Prather wrote:
> Looking for opinions...
>
> I'm about to install a TSM server for a new customer who has never had TSM
> before.
> Very standard TSM config -
>
>    - Plenty powerful Windows host
>    - 100 mostly windows clients, back up to diskpool, migrate to 3592 tape
>    drives, copy to 3592 tape and vault.
>    - 2 TB of disk for diskpool, DB, logs if I need it.
>    - No need for backupsets.
>

> I know there are still folks reporting problems with the TSM for Linux
> server, and conversion of existing 5.X DB's is non-trivial.
>
> But I haven't seen anything in the TSM flashes & open APARS to think I'm
> taking much of a risk installing TSM 6.1 + patch on Windows.
> And it will save them the grief of doing the upgrade a year from now.
>
> What does the ADSM-L world think?
>
> Thanks for any input

My rule of thumb for going with new versions of (IBM) software is 6-12
months after release. Before summer I told customers to go with 5.5, now
after the summer I'm going to go with 6.1. I dont feel totally
comfortable with 6.1 yet but you gotta take the plunge sometime :)

Especially since the requirements for DB storage is so different for 6.1
and because of the awkward upgrade process I believe the arguments for 6.1
are pretty strong.

-km