ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Replacing tape drives (or "there has to be a better way")

2009-07-16 08:04:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Replacing tape drives (or "there has to be a better way")
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:02:55 -0400
> > So, I manage this with a script that reads a config file, with
> > server, sta, libs and drive's characteristics and it outputs all the
> > define, delete, update drive and update path commands (among
> > others).
>

> Amen!  Preach it.
>
> In AIX, I do this with the following snippets:
>
> I have a config file [1] to connect the drive name with the serial
> number. The other fields are comments to assist my discussion with the
> CEs.
>
> Then I run a script [2] in a temp dir to collect the current
> correlation between rmt devices and serial numbers.  This way I can
> blow away all the RMT devices, and rescan, and not care that they may
> be helter-skelter all around the town.

This is pretty much what I do also.  My script is based around a table
where I've coded the tape drive  model, s/n, wwn, library name and drive
name. It
then queries AIX to match up rmt devices and generates commands.

It's interesting how the same problem
gets solved and resolved, which to me indicates a major area where
TSM needs enhansements.  While I'm glad it's long gone, we used to
run HP Omniback.  On a node with tape drives (like a StorageAgent or
TSM Server proper) you clicked a few buttons, it gurgled for a while,
then came back all setup with it's version of drives/paths for
the tape drives attached to the server.

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.