ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Replacing tape drives (or "there has to be a better way")

2009-07-09 11:10:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Replacing tape drives (or "there has to be a better way")
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:06:51 -0500
NOW you tell me. I just went through a terrible time replacing a HP
LTO-4 drive in a library. After futzing around for several hours, I
wound up bouncing the TSM server. Other vendors (Sun/STC, HP...) aren't
sympathetic to requests to change the drive serial number.

I don't think serial number changing is a realistic solution to this
issue. It kinda takes away the whole point of serial numbers in the
first place. Perhaps I should APAR the failure of DEFINE PATH, DEFINE
DRIVE, etc to deal with a drive swap and serial number change. (AIX
5.5.1 TSM server)

               Academic Computing & Communications Center