ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs Avamar

2009-06-27 18:43:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs Avamar
From: "John D. Schneider" <john.schneider AT COMPUTERCOACHINGCOMMUNITY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 15:40:35 -0700
Anthony,
    What you say is just what EMC said, and that is that their
preference is that all their customers install the Avamar client
directly on each VM.  But this is not ideal to us for two reasons:

1) In the main environment I support, there are about 700 VMs and
growing.  That is a lot of Avamar clients to log in to and configure.
The beauty of VCB is that it doesn't require a client install on each
machine; there is less administration per VM, which means less time.

2) With the VCB method, the VMware farm does not bear the burden of CPU
and I/O and memory consumption involved in performing the backups; that
is shifted to the proxy server.  Running the Avamar client backup on 700
separate VMs is going to create a burden on the VMware farm.  EMC will
hand-wave that away by saying that the Avamar client is very light, but
in our testing so far it is about even with, or perhaps slightly less
than the TSM clients.  EMC told us it is a tiny fraction of the
performance requirements of the TSM client, but we have not found that
to be the case.

Either way would work, I agree, but I think there are valid trade-offs
depending on the size of your environment, and the amount of backups you
do each day.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
The Computer Coaching Community, LLC