ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] SAS and TSM

2009-06-26 12:58:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] SAS and TSM
From: "Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:57:50 -0500
Good day everyone,
I have a very interesting problem to discuss. I've been working on this since
Monday.
And think I have pinpointed the problem, but am more interested if anyone can
help me explain why it might be happening.

We have a specific group of remote sites (14) using similar tools across the US.
All  except for two are using FC storage arrays, in all cases it is IBM DS
series hardware in one form or another.

In two sites we are using Dell MD3000 SAS storage.
In these two sites my TSM backups are failing with Internal Program errors.
Insufficient resources.
Memoryefficientbackup is set to yes. I even set up disk caching for these two
sites. My backups are now going further but still failing.
After much searching I found a Windows KB article indicating this is a low
kernel memory issue.
And this is where we will be focusing our attention next.

However, these two site are not very heavily utilized in comparison to the rest
of my installs.
All sites are running windows 2003 64-bit, using the exact same tools and the
data model for this site is similar to the rest, couple hundred thousand files
ranging from 2mb to 100mb with the average around 60 mb. All are using TSM
client 5.5.1.10. Server is AIX 5.3 TSM server version 5.4.3.

My main concern is these are our only SAS sites and I'm trying to figure out if
this is inherent to the way this storage product utilizes kernel memory.
TSM is the only process on these machines that seem to be having problems.
Has anyone experienced this ? Or have any suggestions ?
Thanks,
Duane