ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Managing TSM Schedules

2009-06-25 18:43:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Managing TSM Schedules
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:41:44 +1000
Hi Bobby

One past employer had a requirement to do monthly archives and I found,
as you have that the admins would change the filesystems on nodes
without notifying anyone.

My solution was a perl script that went through the filesystems table
for all BA client nodes and checked the last backup date.  This
identified all the current filesystems as discovered by the daily
incremental backup, and so it was a simple matter to generate an archive
schedule for each system with an approprate -domain=  operand.

However, these days I would not perform a monthly incremental.  It
increases your tape and database usage dramatically for no good reason.
A separate monthly node with a single monthly incremental is more
manageable.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin
Seeking work, Sydney Australia

bobby wrote:
The TSM admin configures the backups as per the requirements recieved from the
system admins. I am doing the task in absence of the TSM admin.

The issue is that our archives are not consistent with the incremental backups.
The archive and the incremental are not necessarily backing up the same drives,
whereas it should back up the same drive. This is as i mentioned because of the
different reference point for TSM.

I wanted to know a way to configure archive schedules so that it refers to the
clients opt file for drive letters.

Hope i make sense.   :?