ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Managing TSM Schedules

2009-06-25 10:04:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Managing TSM Schedules
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:01:09 -0400
On Jun 25, 2009, at 9:32 AM, bobby wrote:

The TSM admin configures the backups as per the requirements
recieved from the system admins. I am doing the task in absence of
the TSM admin.

TSM consists of a client side and a server side, where there are
administrators (often, separate) for each side, particularly in large
organizations.  In dealing with TSM, and in participating in the
mailing list, keep in mind that TSM is an "enterprise" product,
meaning that it's intended for large customers with complex
organizations, where responsibilities can be distinctly separated.
Thus, when you say "TSM admin", it is ambiguous to us.

The issue is that our archives are not consistent with the
incremental backups. The archive and the incremental are not
necessarily backing up the same drives, whereas it should back up
the same drive. This is as i mentioned because of the different
reference point for TSM.

I wanted to know a way to configure archive schedules so that it
refers to the clients opt file for drive letters.

Hope i make sense.   :?

I think you'd benefit from reading the TSM Concepts redbook, which you
can obtain from http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg244877.html,
and the Backup/Archive Client manual, to help you better understand
the product.  Backups are usually incremental, and driven by DOMain
option specifications, which Archive does not use, in that Archive is
a file-oriented operation where you specify what you want archived on
the command line.  You might consider using the PRESchedulecmd option
to specify a locally written command which would create a
specifications file from the DOMain specs, which Archive could then
operate upon through command line option -
FILEList=<YourGeneratedSpecfile>.

    Richard Sims