ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM vs Avamar

2009-06-24 19:44:00
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM vs Avamar
From: leontom <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:01:30 -0400
Hi,

If you could accept some additional information from an EMC insider...

Actually ,with Avamar, VCB is not really needed for the main backup operations.

Indeed, the best is to install the files and applications agents directly
within the VMs.

In this way, you'll be able to make full daily snap-up of all your VMs with a
really minimal impact on your ESX plateform, thanks to the source-based dedup.

VCB could, maybe, remains a commodity for full VM quick disaster recovery.

Regards,
Anthony

[quote="John D. Schneider"]Hi!

5) Backing up VMs, because they are so similar to each other, sounds
like an idea application for deduplication.  However, the VMWare VCB
proxy solution today is very bad.  But in every Avamar presentation I
have been to, they completely gloss over how it really works.  The way
it works today requires each separate VM to be in its own group and its
own schedule.  In our case, with 600VMs, that was going to be a
nightmare.  Sometime in the third quarter when VMWare comes out with its
next version of VCB, it is supposed to be much better.