ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs CommVault

2009-06-24 05:19:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs CommVault
From: Brett McGlasson <bmcglasson AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:34:56 -0700
As a current CommVault administrator who administered and handled
architecture for a Tivoli environment for 8 years, I can vouch for
everything Wanda says here.

I would also add that their documentation and support pales in comparison to
IBM.  I find their support pretty difficult to deal with, and a recent
survey from Storage magazine indicated that a lot of users feel the same
way.  Also, they issue a dizzying number of hot fixes and patches.  There is
a way to automate download and installation of these updates, but it's an
all-or-nothing feature so if you have any kind of change management in your
environment, it's tough to use.

I have not been impressed with the reporting.  The native reporting in the
CommServer Console itself doesn't impress me - it's all canned and not
really all the flexible.  They have an add-on product called ROMS, which has
some pretty lights and slick "Executive Summary" type information.  I don't
like it because it can only be accessed on the CommVault support website,
and alerts are frustratingly vague and can only be cleared by CommVault
support.

Good luck,
Brett McGlasson