ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up running VM's

2009-06-17 09:26:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up running VM's
From: "Tchuise, Bertaut" <BTchuise AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:24:26 -0400
Eric,

TSM does backup running VMs; for TSM versions prior to 5.5, you had to
backup each individual VM just like you would backup physical servers
(this meant getting a TSM license for each and every VM instance). TSM
V5.5 goes a step further and makes use of the VM Consolidated backup
(VCB) to accommodate the backup of VMs (it works well!!!); with the VCB,
depending on your setup, the need for multiple licenses is greatly
reduced as you make use of a proxy server to backup the VM.

Please refer to the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager V5.4 & 5.5 Technical
Guide - Chapter 24 for a detailed explanation of the VCB process &
configuration.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG247447/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwh
elp.htm

Bertaut.