ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 Installation Problems

2009-06-05 17:32:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 Installation Problems
From: "Clark, Robert A" <Robert.Clark AT PROVIDENCE DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:32:06 -0700
Sorry for the broken quoting.

>> May I infer then that you have no nodes running recent versions of
>> windows server?

>You may.  My TSM servers run on AIX, all the way.  I'll include only by
reference my long-term antipathy towards MS products.  The price
advantage is gradually making me (whiningly) approach running on linux.
But there'll be a -lot- of whining on the way. :)

Yeah, by nodes I meant... well... nodes. As in "query node". And by
windows server I meant as in "Windows Server 2003 SE", or "Windows
Server 7 (Vista 2)".

TSM server 6.1 supports Windows server on x32 Intel, Linux on x32 not so
much? I just wish the x345 I picked up on CL was 64bit.

>> I realize that it take two to tango, and MS has become prodigious at
>> shitting the bed with broken WMI writers, SNP bugs, setting the
>> default VSS provider to whatever a third party product installed last

>> and providing no way to change it, etc. But I have Windows admins
that
>> want to mass defect back to the 5.3 client as they have the abiding
>> perception that anything later is crap.

> Hmm.  You're talking clients, here.  I've got loads of windows
_clients_, (of course).

Hard to backup without working clients. Funny that.

>> They also complain bitterly of an ASR/BMR restore process that
>> Machiavelli, Kafka, or Stanslaw Lem would be proud of, and install
>> BESR.  <Filesx/FastBack?>

>Is that TSM's fault?  My sense (as an observer) is that ASR is a huge
delicate pile of frozen offal.  BMR is hard under the best of
circumstances, and MS has no motiviation to make life easy for IBM.

As Yoda said, "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'.".  I'll stop whinging
on.

>When folks want BMR, I tell them to go find a product that does BMR.
>Back up their ghost server or something.

>- Allen S. Rout

DISCLAIMER:
This message is intended for the sole use of the addressee, and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If you are not the addressee you are hereby notified that you
may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to anyone the message or any
information contained in the message. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete this
message.