ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 Installation Problems

2009-06-04 18:15:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 Installation Problems
From: "Clark, Robert A" <Robert.Clark AT PROVIDENCE DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:12:03 -0700
Hey you kids, get off my yard! <Sorry Richard, couldn't resist.>

It seems that many of us have a parental relationship with the product.
In any other case, we would likely have severed the connection some time
ago. <Code quality wandering all over, price going up, audits? You think
you're a domestic US car maker?>

Clearly the product is facing a challenge with its peers and up and
comers, and needs to show ongoing improvement and increased value.
<chuckle> Or to put it another way "we choose to " ... rebuild TSM on
DB2 ... " in this decade and do the other things, not because they are
easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to
organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that
challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to
postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

Short of unbundling an NSM, this is easily the biggest challenge I've
seen TSM admins (myself included)face. Sometimes I have hope that the
nascent third-party helper applications will offer some help, but some
of them aren't even ready for the transition to 6.x.

This list makes a positive impact, by surfacing obscure tecnical
knowledge, and disabusing people of their preconceived notions. It may
be time for Tivoli/IBM to put some liasons in place, and offer people a
hand as they make this difficult transition.

[RC]