ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for Exchnage 6.1 mailbox restore

2009-06-04 06:23:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for Exchnage 6.1 mailbox restore
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 06:22:43 -0400
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Mail supports automated
Individual Mailbox Restore starting with
Data Protection for Exchange version 6.1.

For example, the command to restore a
mailbox could look like this:
   TDPEXCC RESTOREMAILBOX hoobler

The technique that Data Protection for Exchange uses to
perform Individual Mailbox Restore is through the
Recovery Storage Group. It restores the Exchange
database containing the selected mailbox/item
into the Recovery Storage Group and then extracts
the selected data from the RSG. It does all
of this in an automated fashion starting
with version 6.1

This does not require additional backup streams nor
brick-level backups. It can restore data from any legacy
or VSS TSM backup (for VSS, Exchange 2007 and later),
and even from backups created with prior versions of
Data Protection for Exchange.

The technique that Data Protection for Exchange uses
does require a restore of the full database file.
Microsoft does not support "mailbox" or "item"
level extracts from full database backups.
The algorithm follows all Microsoft specifications
and uses only approved APIs for all operations.

The process is as follows:

1. User identifies the mailbox(es) and/or mail items to
   restore using the GUI or CLI to narrow the restore
   to the desired objects.

2. Data Protection for Exchange determines which
   TSM backups will contain the desired objects by
   using a combination of the mailbox history
   and Active Directory.

3. Data Protection for Exchange creates a Recovery
   Storage Group required for proper restore of
   the selected objects. (Note: On Exchange 2003,
   the user must create this manually, since
   Microsoft does not provide an API to do this
   in an automated fashion.)

4. Data Protection for Exchange restores the
   necessary backup(s) into the Recovery
   Storage Group.

5. Data Protection for Exchange extracts the
   selected items from the Recovery Storage Group
   and places them into the desired target location
   (can either be a mailbox or a .PST file)

6. Data Protection for Exchange cleans up the
   Recovery Storage Group (Note: On Exchange 2003,
   the user must clean up manually, since
   Microsoft does not provide an API to do this
   in an automated fashion.)

For more details and more examples, please see the User's Guide:

   http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6/index.jsp

Look under:
   +Protecting applications
      +Protecting Microsoft Exchange Server data
         - Restoring individual mailbox and mailbox item-level data

Note: There are different techniques that some vendors
use that have advantages, but also carry disadvantages as well.
For example, some use brick-level backups, and some
open the .EDB files directly. Each algorithm has its pros and cons.
The intent of this documentation is not to get into those details,
but to explain the Data Protection for Exchange solution.

Del Hoobler
Tivoli Storage Manager Development
IBM Corporation

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/03/2009
06:18:04 PM: