ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] The best way to make a backup of a lot of small objects

2009-05-31 02:52:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] The best way to make a backup of a lot of small objects
From: admbackup <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 02:52:30 -0400
I have to program a daily backup of some folders on a Windows 2008 Server that
have like 5000000000 small objects (the majority are like 34k -80K)

I was thinking in make a Image backup but the problem is that it would be very
difficult to restore an specific object (something usual for this client), and
the backup has to run daily.  But a regular file backup is taking more than 24
hours and the TOTAL size of the objects is like 200Gb

The server has no storage agent.  I have heard something about journaling
backups but I have not found enough documentation.

Any advice?