ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] using dsmc to retrieving large number files

2009-05-22 07:16:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] using dsmc to retrieving large number files
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT COX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 06:15:22 -0500
Sorry... didn't see the initial email earlier...

As mentioned by Richard, the details on the TSM server and client platforms
& code levels would be helpful.

I seem to remember older clients only initiating a single thread per mount
point on retrieves (but I could be remembering incorrectly).

Also are you retrieving from the primary storage pool or are you retrieving
from a copy storage pool.

It is a single file system but is it many directories and at what level do
the directories branch out?  (that is, are all the files off the root or off
the root is there many subdirectories and are the files spread out across
all of those?)

Within TSM various things that are used as "KEYS" in the TSM data base are
things like the node name, the file system name, the directory path, and
then finally the file name itself.  TSM in trying to minimize lock
contention within the data base will adjust its threads along those
boundaries.  Just something to keep in the back of your mind as you do
things...

**** initial email ****

I archived 1000 files from a single file system using multiple sessions with
resourceutilization 7 and MAXNMP 4 which gave me 4 tape sessions.

When I retrieve this same filesystem with the same parameters I only get 1
session, one tape.    A 2 1/2 hr archive takes 12 hrs to retrieve.

Anyone have an answer?

thanks

Roger