ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SANergy MDC on Linux (CentOS)

2009-05-19 07:03:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SANergy MDC on Linux (CentOS)
From: Gennadiy Khramov <GKhramov AT COMPUTEL DOT RU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:59:25 +0400
Hi,
I read about gpfs possibilities and would be happy use only it :)
But it's more complex.
I need make three-level storage system (fc disks-fata disks-tape). First
level (fc-disk pool) contains user's data. Obsolescent data must migrate
to second level (fata-disk pool), and then (if needed) to tapes.
All data must be transmitted over SAN. For all systems data-flow will be
transparent, and by user request data must return to first level stg pool.

How i see that solution.
HSM decides transparent data migration task.
TSM fo SAN can write only to libraries, so SANergy helps transfer data to
disks (from fc-disks to fata disks and backwards).
And at end TSM for SAN is responsible for transmitting data to tapes (if
need send it from client) and back.
But i don't know - will this work? :)

In fact, intend using AIX (HACMP) for TSM server and Client systems. As i
know SANergy may works well on AIX. :)
But now, I have only linux and windows systems on ESX preparing
demo-solution, and also all issues and problems connected with change of
platform :).
____________________________
Best Regards,
Khramov Gennadiy
gkhramov AT computel DOT ru

Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
19.05.2009 13:30
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] SANergy MDC on Linux (CentOS)

Hi,

I think you'll learn that GPFS provides everything SANergy does, plus
reliability and some more neat features. I don't think you'll actually
need the SANergy MDC to do what you want to do. I have a very strong
opinion on SANergy, and that is that you don't want to use it, not
even if your life depended on it (and if your life does depend on
sanergy, boy, you're in trouble ;-)).

Anyway, we might be better able to help you if you'd tell us what your
final goal (in terms of functionality) is.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl