ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] V6 exponential DB growth

2009-05-08 10:08:58
Subject: [ADSM-L] V6 exponential DB growth
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:06:40 -0400
I have been experimenting with my 6.1.1 server (thank you for the patch -
I can now keep it running for more than 3-days) to see how it performs and
utilizes resources.

Some of the numbers I am seeing, when it comes to DB size/growth, is
startling and is going to be a major factor in whether I can implement 6.1

As an experiment, I exported one of my largest (objects-wise - 100M) nodes
to my 6.1 server.

The source 5.5.2 server DB is 70G with 70% utilized (50GB) and also
contains other nodes, for a total of 138M objects.

On the 6.1 server, the DB has now grown to 355GB and I didn't finish
exporting all 100M objects (only 1.4TB of occupancy) since I blew out the
log space and crashed the server.

That is 7x as big then V5 !!!

If I take this same factor, to move my other server with 273M objects
(105GB DB) to 6.1, I would need more than 1TB of disk space for the DB
alone.

Is this what is to be expected?  I realize the docs talk about 4x the
resource requirements, but not 7x!

If so, there is no way I could move my biggest servers to 6.1 since they
only have 500GB internal drives used for the DB.