ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] V6 selectable tables question

2009-05-07 13:30:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] V6 selectable tables question
From: Colin Dawson <colind AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 10:29:21 -0700
Howdy,

    There is an APAR opened to address this...  The APAR is IC60909.  The
current target to have this fixed is in the 6.1.2.0 fix pack - with the
usual caveats that this is only the current projected target and this may
be subject to change...

    The intended fix will correct the select processing for the
SYSCAT.COLUMNS and SYSCAT.TABLES tables to only display the tables that
should be selectable through the TSM administrative interface.  Please note
that these results will be either different then or a subset of what would
be displayed if you went directly to DB2 to view the SYSCAT.COLUMNS and
SYSCAT.TABLES.  The reason for this is that the TSM administrative
interface is attempting to preserve (to the degree possible) the tables and
columns that were available for SELECT processing in the prior
version/releases of the product.

    If an administrator were to choose to connect directly to the DB2
database using a supported connection technology (ODBC, JDBC, etc) then
they would be able to see the entire server schema and all the production
tables, views, and such.  The warning in this regard is that this should be
done with care - any connection to the database should be done for READONLY
(SELECT) purposes.  Changes to the schema (DDL), insertion, deletion, or
modification of data in the server database through means other then the
TSM server application may result in the loss of data, a server crash, or a
failure to restart the server.

Thanks,
Colin

Colin Dawson
Master Inventor, TSM Server Development Lead
colind AT us.ibm DOT com