ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] AW: Re: [ADSM-L] LTO for long term archiving

2009-05-05 16:41:48
Subject: [ADSM-L] AW: Re: [ADSM-L] LTO for long term archiving
From: Stefan Reichle <stefan.reichle AT HOLCIM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 22:38:48 +0200
Hi there,

Just wanne point out that even if you do have your data on tape you need to be
able to restore it with possibly the drive you did write it and of course
compatible software.

Hardware maintenance cost would be a killer and might force you to migrate data
to new media in 10 years from now anyway when capacity is larger again...

I'm not sure if you can count on lto being able to read lto media 25 years old.

Cheers,

Stefan
_____________________

Stefan Reichle
Holcim Group Support Ltd
Corporate IT
5113 Holderbank AG
Phone +41 58 858 65 11
Fax +41 58 858 66 70
Mobile +41 79 321 46 52
stefan.reichle AT holcim DOT com
www.holcim.com
This e-mail is confidential and intended only for the use of the above named
addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it
immediately and notify us by e-mail or telephone.