ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Drive SN issue

2009-05-01 11:35:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Drive SN issue
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 11:33:15 -0400
We had this problem as well.
Our dedicated HBAs would just randomly log out of the Clariion. Presumably
when a SAN Discovery "probe" went out.  We couldn't get it to log back in
without a reboot.  A reboot also caused another Probe though, so we'd only
be up for about 20 minutes.    It was a major outage at multiple data
centers, lots of visibility.  IBM support was trying to upgrade firmware
and drivers but nothing worked.   Finally, a guess worked out and I turned
off SAN Discovery and the problem went away.  Ever since I've been
terrified of SAN Discovery!  (TSM 5.4.1 at the time)

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
05/01/2009 11:13 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Drive SN issue

No, tape and disk reside on different fabrics.  There are 7 tape HBAs, 3
of which go to physical tape, two of those have drives with this problem.

Andy Huebner