ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 - can I do a X server platform database restore?

2009-04-30 12:09:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 - can I do a X server platform database restore?
From: Colin Dawson <colind AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:08:38 -0700
Joerg (and all),

    I don't see a response from TSM development in this chain so I'm not
sure if it had been responded to or not...  If it had and I missed it - I
apologize for any duplication or rehashing of previously covered
information...

     With TSM V6.1, some of the challenges associated with restoring a
server database across platforms have been eliminated or mitigated.  That
being said, there are still some embedded data structures that TSM stores
that may have architecture, platform, or endianess issues if a database was
restored to a different architecture and operating system then it was
originally running on...  From the discussion in the responses to this
post, it is correct that much of the concern or issue with this is the
device support and in particular the representation of device specific
attributes such as positioning information of data on volumes.

Thanks,
Colin

Colin Dawson
TSM Server Development