ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] SV: best backup method for millions of small files?

2009-04-30 04:44:22
Subject: [ADSM-L] SV: best backup method for millions of small files?
From: Christian Svensson <Christian.Svensson AT CRISTIE DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:43:41 +0200
Hi Mehdi,
FastBack don't scan each file that TSM does.
FastBack do Incremental backups based on Block-Level and in that case FastBack
don't care if it is million of small files or 1 large file. It will only backup
the blocks that is change and always backup the entire partition.

FastBack is a good software and you can run a CDP backup that is also good. But
the problem with FastBack is that you can only backup from DISK-TO-DISK. And to
get the data in to TSM do you need to backup the FastBack Server with TSM. Or
more correct way to say it. You let TSM mount a FastBack snapshot and backup
that snapshot and you will still have the slow backup to tape. But that will be
in a "offline/off-site" mode from the server so no files will change during the
backup.

Another thing with FastBack, that is still missing is that, you can only
restore a single file from every snapshot and not from a CDP area if you don't
want to restore the entire volume to another disk first.

One good thing that I think TSM should have, is that FB is recovering all
"Icons" stubs for each file and as soon that is done the users will see his
files without any problem but in the background will FB restore File A, B, C, D
and so on. But if a user want to open file M, FB will priorities that file and
restore that file before he continue with file E, F and H.

I would like to have this function in TSM in the future. I will bring this up
on the TSM Symposium in Germany in Sept. :) Because you have DIRMC in TSM
today, why not have FILE_STUB_MC also?

Best Regards
Christian Svensson

Cell: +46-70-325 1577
E-mail: Christian.Svensson AT cristie DOT se
Skype: cristie.christian.svensson