ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Green issue: How to avoid leaving clients on all night

2009-04-23 07:34:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Green issue: How to avoid leaving clients on all night
From: Ian Smith <ian.smith AT OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:31:11 +0100
Hi Roger,

I can see you have had a few replies: we at Oxford have been chewing on this
for a while and have two solutions:

1. quick and dirty, run a PostNSchedulecmd as below ( machine only shuts
down after scheduled backup ) see:
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/hfs/help/faq/index.xml.ID=scheduled#shutdown

2. implement a wake-on-lan solution - this is more involved, especially if
your are crossing subnets ( the wol packet doesn't travel across subnets )
see http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/wol/ for more info on our solution.

Cheers
Ian Smith
Oxford University Computing Services: