ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM TDP Oracle - Expiration Opinions

2009-04-14 01:10:29
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM TDP Oracle - Expiration Opinions
From: antwoneeter <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:37:15 -0400
I'm having similar TDP (Oracle & SharePoint) file space expiration problems as
well.  I'm about to open a call with IBM on this, but can you check the act log
to see what I'm seeing?  You'll need to dig into the actual expiration process.
 Try running this (replace NODE_NAME and adsmorc with your tdp file space name)
'q act begind=-14 endd=today s=expir*NODE_NAME*adsmorc'
and also to verify inventory expiration is completing:
'q act begind=-14 endd=today s=expir*invent*succ'

For one particular Oracle node, the \adsmorc file space is flat out skipped
during expiration while another identical Oracle node has \adsmorc file space
processed.  The occupancy of the \adsmorc file space on the skipped node
constantly grows while the processed node holds relatively steady.

The other UNIX Oracle node I have shows that _sometimes_ expire inventory
processes it's /Oracle_FS file space but most days it skips it!  Now, I track
occupancy daily.  On the days expire inventory processes the /Oracle_FS
(evidence in the act log), the occupancy shrinks indicating this the TSM server
is doing it's job.  All the other days that it skips it, it grows.  To me at
this point, this is a bug.  We're at Server v5.4.3.0, BAC 5.5.1.0, DP for
Oracle 5.4.1.0.  And if you're wondering, yes, backdel is enabled on all the
nodes.

It would be great to see what you guys find on your systems.  In the mean time,
I'm opening up that ETR.