ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Configuration manager

2009-04-13 16:20:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Configuration manager
From: Alex Paschal <apaschal AT MSIINET DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:18:29 -0500
Hello, Thomas.

I suppose it really depends on how big your dual-datacenter environment
is and how much profile commonality there is among your TSM servers.
Personally, I don't use configuration management unless I'm in a
environment with enough servers and enough profile commonality that it
saves me a bunch of time.

Other than that:

A positive point to having a stand-alone config mgr is that any config
mgr-specific patches can be installed without having to internally test
all your clients/scripts/etc as you might do if you were upgrading your
main TSM servers.

A positive point to having a data-moving TSM server act as a config mgr
is that config mgr is such a low-overhead service that having a
stand-alone config mgr may be a waste of hardware and admin time.

Alex Paschal
Storage Solutions Engineer
MSI Systems Integrators
(503) 943-6919 - Office