ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TDP 5.5.2 Communication Delays

2009-03-24 13:44:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] TDP 5.5.2 Communication Delays
From: "Neese, Thomas J" <thomas-neese AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:42:35 -0500
We recently upgraded one of our SQL Servers to TDP SQL 5.5.2. We noticed there
was a lag in the time it took to run a manual backup of a database. To check
things out, I installed Network Monitor on the server to get an idea of the
packets being sent. Here is a summary:

Traffic sent by the process tdpsqlc.exe:
Several TCP packets outbound from the TDP client to contact crl.verisign.net on
port 80
after (4) attempts to contact the crl.verisign.net server and failing (took
about a minute for the attempt/fail/retry sequence to play out), the client
contacted our TSM server and transferred the backup data.

We are running Windows Server 2003 SP2 and SQL Server 2005 SP2 on this server.
This server is firewalled and does not allow outbound traffic on any port to
leave our campus network. If I run the same test on a different firewalled
server with TDP SQL 5.5.0 installed, I don't get the packet attempts outbound
to crl.verisign.net and the backup happens without the extra overhead of trying
to contact the VeriSign server.

I know that TDP SQL 5.5.2 added a new SQL Native Client (SNAC) from SQL Server
2008, but is something trying to establish SSL connections and needing to
verify a certificate revocation list (CRL)? I tried looking through the docs
and can't find where I can disable this functionality. I added a line in the
dsm.opt file that stated: SSL off, but with no affect.

I'm open to ideas on how we can adjust this behavior on the TDP SQL client.
Preference is to stop the attempt to contact crl.verisign.net, but I'm also
open to temporary work arounds. Our TSM server is running on AIX and is version
5.5.1.1. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tom Neese, MCSE/CCEA

ITS Systems and Platforms

Windows Server Group

University of Iowa

(319)335-5980

thomas-neese AT uiowa DOT edu<mailto:thomas-neese AT uiowa DOT edu>