ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Dear Tuscon

2009-03-20 14:06:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Dear Tuscon
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:05:27 -0400
Gee. Our 3592 tapes cost somewhere around 100 dollars.  We keep 5 days worth of
TSM DB backups.  $500 is real cheap in order to keep a copy of our most
important DR resource on our most reliable backup medium.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville

>>> Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM> 3/20/2009 10:39 AM >>>
My heart leapt when my RSS reader presented me an article in the TSM
udpates feed from IBM with the heading, "Keeping more than one TSM
server database backup on a tape." As I'm implementing a new server
using 3592 drives, I haven't been happy with my options for this
particular issue. Maybe, I thought, I was about to learn something of
immediate use and high value!

My heart sank when I read the actual article, which might be
paraphrased as, "Sorry, Charlie, too risky."

Back to asking for some LTO drives just for small, inexpensive tapes
for DB backups.