ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] is TSM Client-encrypted data still compressable on the 3592 Drives ?

2009-03-18 15:21:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] is TSM Client-encrypted data still compressable on the 3592 Drives ?
From: "Clark, Robert A" <Robert.Clark AT PROVIDENCE DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:18:02 -0700
Is it still true that the client side compression requires paging in the
whole object before it can be compressed?

Tying up 10GB of RAM and/or paging/swap space (or more in the case of
larger objects) used to be a big enough concern to recommend against the
practice.

Especially on Windows where memory was so constrained, and using up
available RAM tended to cause the app to die.

[RC]