ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Cloning a TSM

2009-03-04 11:53:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Cloning a TSM
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:49:29 +0100
On Wednesday 04 March 2009, David E Ehresman wrote:
> Has anyone tried to clone a TSM by using a TSM dbcopy volume as the db file
> for the cloned TSM?  If so, would you be willing to discuss the steps you
> went thru.
Yes, I did this on 01/01/2009 as year backup.  The primary storage is all
disks, the copy all tapes (there is a second copy also on disk, so 3 copy's
in total).
At the end, the original TSM instance has access to the primary storage on
disk and the copy storage on disk.  The second instance (my year backup) has
access to the copy tapes and this second instance is my year backup: all
tapes, TSM DB and other relevant data is placed offline.

I have documented everything, but it is in Dutch.  These are the basic steps:

- make a TSM copy of all DB and logs under /tivoli/2008

- make a profile for a second TSM instance:
   DSMSERV_DIR=/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin
   export DSMSERV_DIR
   DSMSERV_CONFIG=/tivoli/2008/server/etc/dsmserv.opt
   export DSMSERV_CONFIG

/tivoli/2008/server/etc/dsmserv.opt:
   DEVconfig /tivoli/2008/server/etc/devconfig.tsm
   VOLhistory /tivoli/2008/server/etc/volhistory.tsm
   COMMmethod TCPIP
      TCPPort 1501
   COMMmethod SHAREDMEM
      SHMPort 1511

- stop TSM and prevent all access to the storage by deleting all tapes and
volume groups

- unmount the fs with the first copy of TSM DB en LOG

- start TSM with the profile for the second TSM instance and ignore all errors
- clean up the second TSM instance (servername, disable sess, remove missing
db and log volumes, set access to the primary disks readonly, ...)
- stop second instance of TSM

- mount fs with first copy of TSM DB en LOG and unmount fs with second copy of
TSM and LOG.
- start first instance (don't forget to unset all the variable you set by
loadint the profile for the second instance) and ignore all errors.
- clean up: delete missing DB and LOGS, delete the copy storage on tape, ...

I hope this helps.

Stef