ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NTUTIL Erase Tape causes an error after checkin and labeling the tape.

2009-03-02 15:35:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NTUTIL Erase Tape causes an error after checkin and labeling the tape.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:33:14 -0500
On Mar 2, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Daniel Lane wrote:

Hello everyone,

We are using TSM version 5.5.2

We have used the ntutil.exe for long erase to erase some of our
tapes which was successful.  The issue though is that when the
tapes are checked back into the library TSM goes to use the tapes
and cannot read the label.

ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive MT0.0.0.3 (\\.
\Tape1) for READ operation, errno = 1104. (PROCESS: 28)
ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume A00017L3 in drive
MT0.0.0.3 (\\.\Tape1). (PROCESS: 28)
ANR8778W Scratch volume A00017L3 changed to Private Status to
prevent re-access. (PROCESS: 28)
ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive MT0.0.0.3 (\\.
\Tape1) for READ operation, errno = 1104. (PROCESS: 28)

So I have performed "checkout libv LB0.1.0.4 remove=no
checklabel=no vollist=A00017L3" then "label libv LB0.1.0.4
search=yes overwrite=yes labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch
waitt=0 vollist=A00017L3" to each of the tapes.
TSM then lists the tapes as scratch volumes.  I then see TSM error
with where the same tape it labeled which is in the library and
marked as scratch when TSM tries to use it.

ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume A00017L3 in drive
MT0.0.0.3 (\\.\Tape1).
ANR8778W Scratch volume A00017L3 changed to Private Status to
prevent re-access.

Why are the tapes not being labeled did I do something incorrectly?

Your posting doesn't say whether you checked your Activity Log to see
if the Label Libvolume had any problems performing the operation.  Be
sure to check that.

If there was a significant interval between the labeling operating
and TSM's attempted use of the tape, and the library is in any way
shared, it's possible that some action outside of TSM rewrote the
tape and overlaid the labels with data during that interval, just as
ntutil obliterated the labels.

You can verify whether or not there are labels on the tape per the
procedure outlined in IBM Technote 1193760.

   Richard Sims      http://people.bu.edu/rbs/