ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape performance (was: Re: Preferred TSM Platform)

2009-02-27 09:10:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape performance (was: Re: Preferred TSM Platform)
From: Rick Saylor <rsaylor AT AUSTINCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:09:42 -0600
Instead of selecting 'a' on nmon try '^' instead. This will give you
the FC adapter stats from fcstat. At least it does on version 12e of nmon.

Rick Saylor
Austin Community College

At 04:59 AM 2/27/2009, you wrote:
Stef Coene wrote:

> On Friday 27 February 2009, David Bronder wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any real instrumentation in AIX
> > about tape drive performance, either.  None of the standard AIX tools
> > seem to give tape-related information (e.g. iostat or nmon), either for
> > the tape drives themselves or for the buses or adapters the drives are
> > connected to (unless there is also disk behind those buses or adapters).
> >
> The problem is that the numbers are not available.  Don't ask me why.
>
> What I do is starting nmon.  With 'a' you can see the adapter
stats.  With 'V'
> you van see the volume group stats.  The difference is tape drive I/O.

In my environment, at least, only fibre HBAs with disk connected to them
appear in the nmon 'a'dapter screen, so my HBAs dedicated to tape drives
are not listed.  With 8 HBAs, 2 for LUNs and 6 for tape drives, I only see
the 2 used for disk (oddly, fscsi0 and fscsi1, plus fcs1 but not fcs0) and
the planar SAS adapter for the system disks.

So, unless you have disk and tape mixed on the same adapter (which I've
always been told was contrary to best practices), I still don't see a way
to get those numbers out of AIX (directly or derived).  Or is nmon lying
about what adapters it's reporting on?

(nmon and iostat also don't cleanly deal with the multiple paths to LUNs
as implemented by EMC PowerPath, so some of the stats can't be taken at
face value for disks, either.  nmon has support for SDD, of course. :) )

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa