ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to define Library2

2009-02-26 22:56:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to define Library2
From: "Gee, Norman" <Norman.Gee AT LC.CA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:54:15 -0800

NDMP support.  You have 2 choices for NDMP, Lan-free or TCP;/IP.

You need to read carefully to understand the differences.  Obviously,
Lan-free keeps the traffic off your LAN.  But there are consequences.
You
get "special" NDMP tapes this way, and you can't copy them- you have to
vault your primary tapes if you want them to go offsite - are you
prepared

You can backup your primary pool LAN free NDMP volumes to copypools.

I accidently damage one volume of my primary pool and was able to
restore it from my copypool.
I only vault copypool NDMP backups.

for that?  If you do your NDMP backup via the LAN, the data goes into
the
regular TSM pool hierarchy, and you can create copy pools with the data.
And do individual file restores by creating the TOC.

You need to figure out what your requirements are first, then figure out
the
architcture.  I'm no NDMP expert, but I think you need to ask more
questions
from people here who have NDMP expertise before you go further...